Saturday 24 November 2012

Making time for some sewing

It has been a busy few Months for me. Staystitching is only 4 months old and expanding rapidly and I have also now set up Hewett Heating, my very own Plumbing and Heating company. I have a van and been busy filling it with all the tools I need to service and repair heating systems. I can't wait until Tuesday when my sign writing will be added to my van, with a smiley flame logo of course.

Asside from the Busyness I managed to make a bit of time for sewing. I am being taught to Quilt by my friend and accomplished quilter Manderley Primrose, who is such a great teacher, very patient with perfect attention to detail. Thankfully we are starting simple, I have hand sewn these pieces into pairs now and just about to start joining the pairs to look like the one on the left! Apparently I am hand sewing due to already knowing how to use a machine, I am actually really enjoying it, which I never thought possible as I previously did everything with my machine.


Tula Pink Quilt

Whilst patiently waiting for my next quilting lesson, I made some mini scallop bunting, using left overs from cutting out my quilt pieces. It is 2 metres long and so simple to make, a small tin of paint was my template to get the shape right, they are now hanging happily in the shop. 

Mini Scallop Bunting

There was a fairly big piece left over of this Tula Pink Neptune fabric, so I made a simple wrist bag pattern and turned it into a roomy little bag.

Tula Pink Neptune wrist bag

Desperate for somewhere to store my cutting tools and tape measure I made myself a craft apron, using cotton/linen blend Echino Bond and a few metres of bias binding. The pocket spans the apron and has divided up sections so everything has its place.
sam_1713

I am loving Iron on Vinyl, it comes in 2 yard packs, so you can just cut a bit off and iron it onto any smooth fabric to create a laminated cotton, the results are a useful wipe clean fabric, which is really easy to sew with and incredibly practical. I can finally turn any fabric into a laminate, which is amazing to me as there are so many fabrics which I previously wished were made as laminates.
Tula Pink frog Prince Iron On Vinyl

2 comments:

  1. Love that bag!! Such pretty fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your projects are nice - like them not only because I love Tula Pink fabric.

    ReplyDelete